Personal blogs are a way to connect with many people through sharing experiences, knowledge, and tutorials. Many people have asked me questions like how to create a blog using WordPress?. And I realized it’s a topic many people love and I should write a blog post about it. Creating a blog with WordPress can be a daunting task if you don’t have experience working with websites but this article will make it easy for anyone to create their simple blog and put it online with a limited budget. There are a few things you need to get started with your blogging and don’t worry it’s not a lot.
Advantages of using WordPress
There are many options when it comes to creating a website, static site generators like Gatsbyjs or web frameworks such as Laravel and Django. But none of these options are easier if you don’t have a programming background. WordPress is the best option because it comes with all the necessary components of a blog, a dashboard, user management, post writing, and a very elegant and good editor and a place to moderate your blog activities, monitor them and track your progress.
Here is a list of the reasons why you should use WordPress to create your personal blog.
WordPress is user-friendly. No expertise is required for anyone to get started on using it. The installation is as easy as anyone can do and many hosting providers have a one-click WordPress installation. After installation, you also have a ready to use dashboard which is very intuitive and you don’t need to be a programmer to start using it.
2. Variety of themes
When creating a blog you need a variety of design options in the form of themes, WordPress offers you a lot of free as well as paid themes so that you can choose the right one which fits your needs. There are many design marketplaces where you can buy cheap and good quality themes. And also you can change the theme at any time to change the look and layout of your blog.
3. Plugins to extend functionality
Since many WordPress users are not really programmers and can’t code functionality of a blog, the WordPress community of developers has a wide range of plugins you can use to add functionality to your blog without touching a single backend source file.
4. Mobile responsive
A blog is mobile responsive if the design is optimized to work on both the desktop, laptops and mobile devices alike. WordPress theme comes optimized already and you don’t need to worry about responsiveness. If you use web frameworks, the burden of making the website responsive will be on you and takes much of your time.
5. Community for support
If ever you get stuck on a design or functionality issue, the WordPress community will help you solve the problems. WordPress has been used by millions of other people for so much longer and someone out there already knows the solution to your problem. If you choose a hosting provider that supports WordPress then it’ll be much easier for you to get support and assistance when you’re stuck.
6. Search engine optimization
WordPress blogs or websites are search optimized. There are also many plugins that help you put titles, keywords, and descriptions to your blog posts so that search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo can index your site and help your blog posts, ideas, get noticed by people on the internet.
7. Built for content marketing
The WordPress core power is the content management setup and easy to use content writing editors. The WordPress editor allows you to write your content, update your content and also to optimize content for search engines. It is a very ideal tool if you want your blog to market the products and services of other people or companies. Writing content that people want will help you build a fan base and credibility on certain topics.
What you need to create a blog
- A domain name – I think you’ve noticed by now that every blog or website has an address or domain name. Your users will use it to identify your blog.
- Hosting Provider – Your blog files need a server and database to process your website traffic. There are many web hosting providers you can subscribe to including NameCheap or WordPress .com hosting solutions
- A WordPress theme – WordPress comes loaded with free and ready to use themes, however, many people choose a more customizable theme such as Divi or any other of your choice. The only limit you can have is many of the beautiful themes are not free and you have to pay a monthly or annual license fee.
- Logo design – Even though a blog doesn’t need much branding and sorts, it is important to have a personal logo that distinguishes you from others.
- Content – People create blogs to share their experiences, knowledge, and insights. So when you create your blog you need the ideas of what you’ll be writing about.
How to create a blog with WordPress
We’ve discussed WordPress and its advantages over the other web design options. Let’s now take a step further and teach others how to create an actual blog using WordPress. For you to follow this tutorial you’ll need the requirements we discussed above, especially a domain name and a hosting provider with a cPanel.
Step 1: Login into your Cpanel
Cpanel is a web hosting control panel. When you signed up with your hosting provider, they send you the cPanel credentials so that you can start managing your hosting.
You can login by typing your domainname.com/cpanel on your browser’s address bar, where domainname.com is your domain name, it can be a .com or .co.zw or any other domain extension out there. Register your domain name on Zimbabwe domain registration.
So after login your will put your cPanel username and password which were sent to you by your hosting provider when they created your hosting account.
After logging in, you should be able to all the features your hosting have including a file manager, email accounts, domain name control and management section, website and hosting metrics section, security section, software section, and other features you have for the hosting management.
Step 2: Create a website database and username
In your cPanel, navigate to Databases and click on the sub-option MYSQL Database Wizard. You’ll be able to create a database name, please make sure the database name cannot be guessed by anyone. Try to make it less obvious for hackers and other unwanted users.
The database will be prefixed with a random string your hosting provider gave you, So you’ll need to only name the postfix of the domain name. This will never make your database less secure. But the choice of your naming can. Prevent using your name or company name or anything related to you that other people might guess and succeed. Also, write down the database name before you forget it and put it in a text file.
After creating the database click Next Step to create a username for your database. The username will have all the credentials to manipulate, doing all the CREATE, READ, UPDATE AND DELETE (CRUD) operations and will be the only username to be allowed to do so.
The user creation wizard is intuitive and easy to follow. So you create a user for the database you created above and there are two things to note when creating a database user.
- Use unpredictable words and tricks so that people don’t guess your database username. Also, make it very long and contain a combination of big and small caps
- The password must also be very secure long and unpredictable. Use a combination of small and big caps, special characters such as #$%&@*. Your password will be hard to crack.
After putting the username and password click Create User. And you’ll have to choose the operations your username can do on the database
Click ALL PRIVILEGES and hit the next step. Congratulations, you’ve just created your website database and username. Lets no go further to installing WordPress and doing some simple stuff.
Step 3: Installing WordPress in cPanel
Installing is the easiest step. After creating your database and username.
- Navigate into your Cpanel account and file explorer.
- Go into the public _html folder.
- Download WordPress
- unzip your WordPress and move all the files into the root public_html folder
- Open your browser and go to your domain name e.g example.com.
- Follow all the steps and put the database and username you created.
You can follow this video.